History

On his death in 1881, William Ward left a generous bequest in his will with the intention of transforming the lives of young women through and inspiring and empowering education. A successful merchant from Brixton (then a leafy country neighbourhood on the outskirts of London) Ward left a significant portion of his wealth to the foundation and maintenance of 'a High School for Girls to be called by the name and know for ever as "The City of London School for Girls founded by William Ward"'. The school opened its doors on Carmelite Street in 1894. Over 125 years later, a lot has changed.