The mission of the Italian Department is to introduce the Italian language to Sixth Formers who are adventurous and committed to the study of languages.
The department aims:
- To demonstrate just how quickly girls with some kind of linguistic background can pick up a new language
- To give students a sound knowledge and understanding of Italian grammar
- To enable students to learn independently using materials available at school and at home
- To give the girls an appreciation of Italian culture, including a basic introduction to Italian literature and film
- To equip pupils with the skills needed to become effective language learners at any stage of their lives
As a department, we aim to inspire girls to learn more about Italian language and culture. Girls who opt for these courses often have a desire to pursue MFL when they leave school or who already have an appreciation of Italian culture through their own studies of History or History of Art, for example.
The girls are supported by our excellent Italian assistant.
Students learn quickly how the language mirrors a number of other languages, making it easy to understand and apply. They are often surprised by just how quickly the learning of this language can take place so effectively. Many girls are inspired to pursue Italian at university as a result of this initial exposure.
WHY IS ITALIAN EXCITING AT CLSG?
These two courses are very fast paced and results are always excellent. The girls surprise themselves by how much they can learn in such a short space of time.
GCSE Italian is an option for Year 12 girls to take in addition to their AS subjects. This is a one-year intensive course culminating in the GCSE examination at the end of Year 12. AS Italian is an option for Year 13 girls to take in addition to their A2 subjects. This is a one year course culminating in the AS examination at the end of Year 13.
GCSE - AQA
Head of Department
Ms J Henderson